Level Ground is all about restitution but what makes us tick? What motivates us to make a difference in South Africa?
- Our primary reason for Level Ground’s existence is to glorify God. In the Bible there are many verses urging us to help the poor and oppressed and we do this to build God’s Kingdom and do His will in our country. As the church, the body of Christ, we are called on by Him to do this.
- Another great reason is our passion to right the wrong’s of the past via restitution. Historically, white South Africans have built good lives for themselves due to the apartheid system, gaining through good education, jobs, access to property amongst other privileges reserved for whites in the past. We aim to assist these advantaged South Africans by providing a vehicle by which they can give restitution to go some way towards righting the injustices of the past.
- Part of the restitution process is also to heal the hurts of the past. Our hope is that by encouraging the nominators to get to know the beneficiaries better, that this will go some way in restoring the dignity and friendship that has been stolen in the apartheid years.
- We also would like to assist other Westerners that have gained so much through the colonisation of Africa and would like to give back to a country that radiates with hope and potential.
- We each have friends that are affected by the lack of adequate housing and we hope that collectively we can help them obtain a better quality of life.
Collectively, as a committee, and individually, we would like to apologise to all previously disadvantaged South Africans and say we are sorry for apartheid and the hurt that it has caused our South African brothers and sisters. We hope that our venture and restitution will show our hearts and love for our countrymen.
God’s very heart is for the poor:
When you reap the harvest of your land, do not reap to the very edges of your field or gather the gleanings of your harvest. Leave them for the poor and the alien. I am the LORD your God.
Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy, I will now arise, says the LORD, I will protect them from those who malign them.
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.